The Ukraine Crisis

I think Germany can cripple Russia’s economy by refusing to sell Adidas track suits and Volkswagen Golfs.
Economic sanction in action!

I like that the big countries have finally decided to remove Russia from the SWIFT banking system. It's a shame it's only for a few of the major Russian banks though and not all of them.

Russia does have a history of subjugating Ukraine. Are they going after Poland next?

I haven't read anything about that even being in the cards Russia going after Poland. They speak Russian in Ukraine so Russia is claiming to be fighting for the minority that consider themselves Russian.

Not sure about Poland but they'll definitely be thinking about Finland and some of the other countries on their border.

My heart goes to the innocent people caught in the middle of it all. The elderly and the children, what a terrible place to be living in subway stations and fleeing to nearby countries.

The Ukrainian people are so sorry. When Russia promised not to attack civilians, they forced people to fight.

The Ukrainian people are so sorry. When Russia promised not to attack civilians, they forced people to fight.
Why would the Ukrainians be sorry if they are being attacked and Russia did attack civilians essentially by sending missiles at villages and cities and using children as body shields?

Why would the Ukrainians be sorry if they are being attacked and Russia did attack civilians essentially by sending missiles at villages and cities and using children as body shields?
I may not have expressed it well, but what I meant was that they were pathetic.

I may not have expressed it well, but what I meant was that they were pathetic.
Might need to express that sentence slightly better too. Makes it sound like you think the Ukrainians are pathetic ^^;

Gameindustry biz talked with Kyiv-based developer Alex Molodkin:

"When it all started, everyone but me was sleeping. I heard some distant explosions."

That's Kyiv-based developer Alex Molodkin, who along with his partner Tay Kuznetsova comprise the two-person studio Weasel Token. Weasel Token is currently working on Puzzles for Clef, a "peaceful 2D puzzle adventure with a treasure hunt at its core," but there's obviously not much work getting done ever since Russian forces began a siege of Kyiv.

Molodkin tells GamesIndustry.biz about the first night of the siege.

"I was working on our game and I had to stop and wake everyone up," he says. "It was a hard first day because the realization that you're suddenly plunged into war is very difficult to take in. It all seems like a nightmare. But then the realization sunk in and we started feeling a bit more practical about it. We moved everyone from the rooms to the hallway and we've been living in the hallway since day one because all of our rooms have windows and outer walls, so it would be very difficult if there were explosions nearby."

Molodkin lives in an apartment building. Some of his neighbors still live there. One moved to a nearby shelter.

"We have [a shelter] nearby but it would be difficult for my grandmother especially because she has issues with her legs," he says. "If the worst comes to pass we'll have to locate there for a while but hopefully it won't be for a long time because that would be just impossible for her."

Molodkin and Kuznetsova have been bracing for this since the start of the year.

"When everyone in the world panics, even if you don't follow the news, you start hearing some echoes of it," he says. "When the neighboring country builds up its military along your border, it's hard not to notice. The hope was they would contain the conflict in some localized areas like the Donbasas and it wouldn't be a full-out invasion."

However, that hope faded when Russian president Vladimir Putin recognized the sovereignty of Eastern Ukrainian cities Donetsk and Luhansk in a speech February 21, saying "all responsibility for the possible continuation of the bloodshed will be entirely on the conscience of the regime ruling on the territory of Ukraine."

"At that point we were pretty sure that we were doomed, yeah," Molodkin says.

He says that local news reported several hundred thousand people had evacuated Kyiv, but in a city of several million, that still leaves the vast majority in harm's way

"The whole problem was that evacuating was -- I wouldn't say impossible, but it would be hard to do with a family of four people," Molodkin says. "While me and Tay could evacuate to Western Ukraine for example, we wouldn't just leave my family and her family here, so it was not an option for us."

They began contingency planning, but he describes it more along the lines of "Let's just think what we might take with us if we have to evacuate" rather than "Let's pack our bags." His neighbors seemed to take a similar approach; there was little in the way of stocking up or problems with people hoarding supplies from local stores.

"No one here actually did that," Molodkin says. "You'd see everything was a fine, perfectly normal day in the supermarket. But once it all started, we had to run to the local marketplaces and stockpile a bit of the bare minimums. It's still hard to stockpile too much, so we have to venture out every few days to get more food, etc."

There's a curfew in Kyiv at the moment so people can only venture out during certain hours, and the grocery stores have limited stock, but they are still open and during those hours Molodkin says the city still feels as populated as ever.

"It's pretty much impossible because most of the time you're just trying to follow the news," he says. "Me and Tay take turns sleeping. My mother and grandmother have to try sleeping normally, so we take turns. When one of us is asleep, the other follows the news for air danger alarms and wakes everyone up when necessary.

"Even when it's not an alarm time, you try following where new explosions happen because even if it's not nearby, you want to follow where the action is currently because you might have friends there or relatives. When someone might be in danger you message them instantly.

"It's hard to break out of this loop. You're straight back to this topic whenever you try to do something else."

NATO did not want to set a "No Fly Zone" in Ukraine's Airspace that means no NATO fighters are allowed to shoot down attacking Rusian Fighters over Ukraine's Airspace, dang it. thus the air bombings will continue and more civilians are going die.

Irresponsible people are faking footage of the war using DCS, causing Eagle Dynamics to say this:

Dear Virtual Fighter Pilots, Partners, and Friends,

With the exceptional technical progress made in hardware and software it is difficult to tell the difference between DCS and realworld footage. This is wonderful for you and for the industry in general.

However, in light of the current situation unfolding in Ukraine, it is paramount to avoid generating images that could be misconstrued and potentially put lives in danger. Therefore may we beg you to be sensible and avoid using DCS to create videos of this nature.

Our thoughts are with everyone during these uncertain times, and we thank you, our dedicated and caring community for flagging such content and bringing it to the media’s attention. Fake news of this nature is too serious to be left alone and needs to be called out by those of you who know what to look for.

Thank you for your understanding and for your support.

Kind regards,

The Eagle Dynamics team

The fake footage was originally made by Comrade_Corb, who noted that it was made in Digital Combat Simulator in the title of the video. In turn, the footage was taken out of context, and even the official Defence of Ukraine Twitter account posted about it. However, Twitter is providing context on all uses of the footage to make sure users are aware it is fake footage.

NATO did not want to set a "No Fly Zone" in Ukraine's Airspace that means no NATO fighters are allowed to shoot down attacking Rusian Fighters over Ukraine's Airspace, dang it. thus the air bombings will continue and more civilians are going die.
I understand that no one wants a world war because that's what would happen if we set up a no-fly zone but it's crazy to think that we're just sitting and watching Russia invade and kill people in Ukraine.

Irresponsible people are faking footage of the war using DCS, causing Eagle Dynamics to say this:

Dear Virtual Fighter Pilots, Partners, and Friends,

With the exceptional technical progress made in hardware and software it is difficult to tell the difference between DCS and realworld footage. This is wonderful for you and for the industry in general.

However, in light of the current situation unfolding in Ukraine, it is paramount to avoid generating images that could be misconstrued and potentially put lives in danger. Therefore may we beg you to be sensible and avoid using DCS to create videos of this nature.

Our thoughts are with everyone during these uncertain times, and we thank you, our dedicated and caring community for flagging such content and bringing it to the media’s attention. Fake news of this nature is too serious to be left alone and needs to be called out by those of you who know what to look for.

Thank you for your understanding and for your support.

Kind regards,

The Eagle Dynamics team

The fake footage was originally made by Comrade_Corb, who noted that it was made in Digital Combat Simulator in the title of the video. In turn, the footage was taken out of context, and even the official Defence of Ukraine Twitter account posted about it. However, Twitter is providing context on all uses of the footage to make sure users are aware it is fake footage.
Well, Plague Inc. Evolved was perfectly fine when Covid was around. If it becomes a problem then perhaps a disclaimer shouldn't be enough to keep the game going.

Back