Do you like to have cutting edge technology?

ZandraJoi

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Are there any disadvantages to buying the latest product? I prefer the wait & see approach. I don’t get the shiny new toy until we have to. However, I know of many people who love having all the newest & greatest technology pieces out there.

Depends on what it is, but generally no.

One disadvantage you can run into as an early adopter, is bugs, or generally finicky stuff with new tech. Especially if they’re doing something different. One example is when Apple first moved to the M1 chips for their laptops, and now some iPads. I don’t wanna replace my computer, and find out half my software won’t work yet.

Sometimes you also run into defective products. Sometimes shit happens and the first batch that come out have quality control issues, and might be broken.

Smart home products are just there for someone else to control you when they want you to use less power. Faster computers are always a good thing. Smart TVs are good but you need fast internet to run anything other than Youtube. When it comes to game consoles I can wait as long as I haven't played something on an older system. It also tends to be expensive and maybe not even built as well. A common comparison is a new vehicle isn't built as well and is even harder to fix than an older one.

I generally don't like having the latest technology because it usually cost more money, and may have reliability or durability problems like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 which had a few battery explosions which started battery fires.

I am also worried about undiscovered stability, performance, security and privacy problems when using apps and the operating system, so I like to wait until many of the software problems are fixed before buying a new device.

There's no point in rushing the purchase. It's not like I'm dying immediately, so I must use them immediately they are released. I give them ample time before buying.

I saw a few news videos that flip phones are making a comeback with young people in America because they want to reduce their phone usage, live in the moment without checking their smartphone, and they like the look of old flip phones like the Motorola Razr.

I feel the rising chance of a more serious economic recession could make some people think more about buying a more basic flip phones over a smartphone because a basic flip phone is generally cheaper than a good smartphone, and it is usually more durable. Plus, most flip phones have a battery which is easier to replace, and a replacement battery may cost less to buy than a smartphone battery.

I saw a few news videos that flip phones are making a comeback with young people in America because they want to reduce their phone usage, live in the moment without checking their smartphone, and they like the look of old flip phones like the Motorola Razr.

I feel the rising chance of a more serious economic recession could make some people think more about buying a more basic flip phones over a smartphone because a basic flip phone is generally cheaper than a good smartphone, and it is usually more durable. Plus, most flip phones have a battery which is easier to replace, and a replacement battery may cost less to buy than a smartphone battery.
I hate flips and foldable smartphone. They are usually frustrating for me to use.

I hate flips and foldable smartphone. They are usually frustrating for me to use.

Unfortunately, it is more difficult to find a regular cell phone which is not a flip phone at a retail store at a physical retail store which could be one of the reason for the rise of non-smartphone flip phones instead of bar style cell phones like Nokia bar phones with number buttons which look like a remote control.

I feel a flip phone folding hinge is an extra movable part which can break on flip phones compared to a unfoldable flip phone.

Unfortunately, it is more difficult to find a regular cell phone which is not a flip phone at a retail store at a physical retail store which could be one of the reason for the rise of non-smartphone flip phones instead of bar style cell phones like Nokia bar phones with number buttons which look like a remote control.

I feel a flip phone folding hinge is an extra movable part which can break on flip phones compared to a unfoldable flip phone.
I'm just completely sick of them. If it's not a flat screen android or iPhone, I'll pass.

It really depends on what it is and how badly I would like to get it or if I need it. Generally, I don't tend to jump on new technology quickly as I feel that sometimes you can and it ends up having issues so I tend to wait a while and then grab it at a later date. If it's something I really need or I have been waiting for a while, I will jump on it and just hope for the best that it doesn't go wrong.

It really depends on what it is and how badly I would like to get it or if I need it. Generally, I don't tend to jump on new technology quickly as I feel that sometimes you can and it ends up having issues so I tend to wait a while and then grab it at a later date. If it's something I really need or I have been waiting for a while, I will jump on it and just hope for the best that it doesn't go wrong.
Only my smartphone is what I have to upgrade every two years now. Apart from it, the rest stays till they break down.

I am not always in a rush to buy the latest gadgets. It has never been my style for long now. I prefer to see reviews before spending my money on any.

Back